CP/M running under Unix

Mike Ewan sytek at tekgen.UUCP
Tue Apr 29 01:50:22 AEST 1986

In article <389 at ms3.UUCP> msitd22 at ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) writes:
>Our site has a Sytek LAN acting as a front-end (terminal logins)
>and controlled by a UNIX-based  Network Control Center (NCC).
>We have an Ungerman-Bass (UB) LAN serving the back-end (file transfers)
>and controlled by a CP/M-based NCC.
>
>We're inteested in moving the UB NCC to the same UNIX box serving the
>Sytek NCC.
>
>Are there any CP/M emulators out there that would allow this?

We at Tek also have a Sytek LAN and NCC's.  We have also evaluated the
UB LAN's.

>From what I've heard, even if you can find a CP/M emulator for unix, it's
going to be EXTREMELY slow.  Anyway, the UB software running on the NCC isn't
going to know where to find it's NIU.  In other words, what you want to do
won't work.

My suggestion is to trade in your UB NCF on one of their NMC's.  This unit
is a IBM PC/XT (works in an AT also) with a PC-NIU installed.  I think your
running something like Ver. 10 software on your NCF.  The current version
on the NMC is 14.  This version uses windows instead of all the boring menus
on version 10, and is about 4 times faster.  It also supports all UB's
new 180, 130, and 74/78 products.

If you already have an XT or AT around you can just buy the PC-NIU and
software.

Mike Ewan
Broadband Network Operations
Tektronix Inc.
PO Box 500  MS 19-442
Beaverton OR 97077

(All the opinions herein are those of the author only)