MacTrademark

daemon at houligan.UUCP daemon at houligan.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 03:23:39 AEST 1986

< EAT THIS LINE>

>From: gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
>Subject: Re: MacNuts
>
>The game played by the U.S. legal system has no necessary relation
>to rationality or common sense.
>
>Is MacDonald's going to sue those Scottish MacAvitches?

I realize this is pretty far removed from UN*X, but here goes:

I read a few weeks ago that Goodyear is suing Fuji (the photographic film
company) for trademark infringement.  Reason: Fuji has taken to using a blimp
in some of its promotions.  Apparently, Goodyear claims that the shape of
a blimp is a Goodyear trademark; therefore, anyone who flies a blimp is
using their trademark without permission.

I sense a golden opprotunity here.  I am going to go out during lunch,
incorporate myself, and then register the shape of an airplane as my company's
trademark.  I will then sue all of the airlines and anyone else who owns an
airplane (after all, airplane owners are generally corporations or upper-
class individuals, and therefore deep pockets), and sympathetic-but-misguided
juries will award me zillions of dollars.  With my new-found wealth, I will
launch unfriendly takeover bids for both AT&T and Macdonalds, and after I
acquire most of the Fortune 500 companies, I will register every word in the
English language as a trademark of my mega-corporation.  From this point
on, anyone who wishes to speak or write in English will have to pay me for
the privilege.  This should solve most of the problems having to do with
trademark references.

Have a renice(8) day,
Dave Cornutt
Gould Computer Systems
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily my employer's, not
necessarily mine, and not necessary."