need help with multi-reel cpio(problem with the suggested solution)

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.UUCP
Wed Apr 30 10:44:42 AEST 1986

In article <1728 at sdcsvax.UUCP> coleman at sdcsvax.UUCP (Don Coleman) writes:
>There are tape drives that cannot backspace(the qic-02 1/4" tape
>standard doesn't even contain any spacing commands), so this is not a
>general solution.  .......  the tape
>drivers could be modified to understand the real nature of the EOT
>assertion, and continue writing out the current block, but return on
>error on the next block.

S'truth, I didn't think of that.  But returning error on the following block
is functionally equivalent, and possibly even more optimal than the solution
I proposed.  It would require a slightly more complicated device driver, since
the EOT state would have to be remembered, but not unreasonably so.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg at ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg at nosc.ARPA