XWINDOWS question

Alan Klietz alan at mn-at1.UUCP
Thu Aug 28 02:40:56 AEST 1986

In article <6514 at sun.uucp>, guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
> > Can it run under UNIX 5.2 or greater?
>
> Not without some work.  It may use the new reliable signal mechanism from
> 4.2BSD.  It is a server-based window system; programs running under X do not
> directly paint bits on the screen, they send messages to the X server and it
> paints the bits.  Furthermore, it does not directly read events from
> keyboards or mice either; the server reads them and sends messages to
> clients.  As such, it requires a bidirectional interprocess communication
> mechanism of some sort; it currently uses UNIX-domain sockets and
> Internet-domain sockets.

I ported client X Windows to a CRAY-2 running Unicos (a System V variant)
without much problem.   You do need some kind of reliable transport protocol.

(I used Wollogong's TCP/IP implementation, which follows the 4.2bsd socket
protocols close enough that I ported the socket code pretty much unchanged.)
--
Alan Klietz
Minnesota Supercomputer Center (*)

(*) An affiliate of the University of Minnesota

[Warning: umn-rei-uc is down until September 11th.   dicome will no
longer feed mail after Aug 29th.  Good luck..]