Does your "ls -lc" equal your "ls -l"?

Joe Weinstein joe at dual.UUCP
Fri Aug 22 04:53:45 AEST 1986

Hi.

	I'm wondering how many UNIX's give the commands

	% ls -l       and       % ls -lc

	the same result for a file that had been modified
	some time after creation, in such a way that the
	inode block list didn't change?
		The c option is supposed to give the inode
	modification date instead of the file modification
	date.  One has to define "inode modification" use-
	fully because even cat'ing a file modifies the inode
	access time field. I think the best definition for
	inode modification is inode creation, so that we
	have a good indicator of file creation date.
		On our V.2.2, ls -l == ls -lc, though I
	have jimmied my own kernel to to what I think it
	should.
	Does yours?  What do you think?