Resource management software

Scott Bemis seb022 at tijc02.UUCP
Sat Aug 9 05:31:36 AEST 1986

Last December, I had the honor of becoming a system administrator two
VAX 11/785s running AT&T UNIX V Release 2 Version 2.  Since UNIX has
become very popular at my place of employment, these two VAXes are being
used more each day. Hence, I need to predict when to purchase another VAX
or more disk drives (several months in advance). I have found the system
accounting that comes with UNIX V to be lacking. It does not give the
information I need in a clear format (in a manner that I can show to
management and prove that I need more hardware).

IS there any software out there that ties into the system acounting provided
with UNIX and produces meaninful reports? I would really like something that
writes the accounting information into a database (relational if possible).
Then I could query the database for past trends in many different ways. Armed
with an accurate knowledge of the past, I could load this information into
a spreadsheet to try to forecast the future, using several scenarios. Here
is good chance for a vendor to make some CA$H! I will fight to get funding
to purchase a good resource management package.

Scott Bemis
mcnc!rti-sel!tijc02seb022