new UNIX book

Daniel M. Frank dan at rsch.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 8 07:58:39 AEST 1986

In article <674 at glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> jack at glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jack Campin) writes:
>I just spotted this in the local university bookshop:
>
>    The Design of the UNIX Operating System
>    Maurice J. Bach
>    Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0 13 201799 7, costs a bundle.
>
>Anyone out there read it yet?
>Is it any good?
>Does it add much to what's in Comer's book?

   I bought it, and I think it's a pretty good introduction.  I needed to
do some light kernel hacking, and found it a very helpful overview of the
areas I was working on.  It contains general information on data structures
and algorithms in System V and some other, and some intro to new Release 3
features.

   I don't know Comer's book, so I can't compare the two.

------

      Dan Frank

	  Q: What's the difference between an Apple MacIntosh
	     and an Etch-A-Sketch?

	  A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.