multiple uucp logins sharing uids and hard links to ttys

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP
Sun Aug 10 00:45:40 AEST 1986

In article <564 at pyramid.UUCP> csg at pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>In article <248 at decvax.UUCP> marc at decvax.UUCP (Marc Teitelbaum) writes:
>>I've seen a lot on the net recently about both uucp login uids and
>>links to tty devices.  Some correct observations, and some incorrect.
>>Anyway, heres what i know about this topic.  If you think i've missed
>>something please send me mail first before posting to everyone.

Actually, no one seems to come out and said this, but the new Ultrix processing
seems to be what I would call broken, since it imposes arbritrary restrictions
not previously in effect on having multiple names (links) for terminals, when
in fact earlier versions of unix and ultrix led you to believe that some lines
should have multiple names (cul0,cua0,ttyd0...).

Fred Avolino has been doing a good job of explaing how to getting around it,
over and over again, but DEC's Ultrix should make their feelings know to DEC
through whatever channels are available to them.

We're still trying to find time to install 1.2, soon now I hope...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV