problem with "curses" window package

Aramini aramini at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU
Wed Feb 5 11:46:48 AEST 1986

I have been using the "curses" window package under INSIGHT (a UNIX for
IBM-PC's and compatibles that is derived from AT&T UNIX SYSTEM V) running
on an AT&T 6300 (an IBM-PC compatible based on the 8086 micro).

My program uses curses put up a multicolumn menu of items.  The program
displays the currently pointed to item in reverse video (standout mode) while
the rest of the screen is in normal video.  When the currently pointed
to item is changed, the previous current item is redrawn (in non-stand-out
mode) using printw(), then stand-out mode is entered via standout(), then the
new current item is drawn via printw(), then stand-out mode is exited
standend().  The problem is that in some cases reverse video blank characters
are sometimes drawn in between items and these blanks stay on the screen
a while.  The terminal type I am using is "pc52", which has the following
termcap entry:

qi|pc52|pc vt52+ emulator:\
	:al=\EL:am:dl=\EM:se=\Eq:so=\Ep:tc=vt52:
dv|vt52|dec vt52:\
	:bs:cd=\EJ:ce=\EK:cl=\EH\EJ:cm=\EY%+ %+ :co#80:\
	:do=\EB:ho=\EH:li#24:ma=^K^P^L ^R^L::nd=\EC:\
	:pt:sr=\EI:up=\EA:ku=\EA:kd=\EB:kr=\EC:kl=\ED:

If you have any suggestions as to how to avoid this problem, please let me
know.  I do not regularly read netnews, so please send electronic mail to
me one of the addresses below.

-Michael J. Aramini
    ARPA:  ARAMINI at RED.RUTGERS.EDU
    uucp:  ...!topaz!aramini