Delivermail strikes again.

jmturn%cca-unix.arpa at cca-unix.arpa jmturn%cca-unix.arpa at cca-unix.arpa
Mon Feb 24 15:03:43 AEST 1986

ringwld runs V7 with delivermail. The L.sys for UUCP is set up to never
allow random delivery of mail to UUCP sites, but a cron job forces batch
delivery once an hour. Please explain the following dump produced by
ps -ax after sending a piece of mail using Mail (1)

   PID TTY TIME CMD
    30 02  0:14 -csh
    72 02  0:12 mail
    98 02  0:01 send-mail -i cca!ringwld!jmturn
   100 02  0:01 ...uucp%mail -d cca!ringwld!jmturn
   101 02  0:00 ...uucp%mail -d cca!ringwld!jmturn
   102 02  0:00 sh -c uux - cca!rmail \(ringwld!jmturn\)
   104 02  0:01 uux - cca!rmail (ringwld!jmturn)
   106 02  0:00 sh -c
   107 02  0:00

This is an insane number of jobs to be running to send one piece of
mail, even given the queuing. For example, why are all the shells running?
(especially the one on top of uux, which is a binary. Can I get a more
reasonable mailer (like sendmail) for V7?

                           Save Your Vertical Blanking Intervals
                           for Big Cash Prizes!

                           James Turner
                           (The Ringworld Engineer)

|   ARPA    | ringwld!jmturn at CCA-UNIX.ARPA        |
|           |  decvax  \                          |
|           |  sri-unix \                         |
|   UUCP    |            !cca!ringwld!jmturn      |
|           |  ima      /                         |
|           |  linus   /                          |