Need unix command file HELP!

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Feb 9 15:19:13 AEST 1986

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <2981 at umcp-cs.UUCP>, chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <245 at aero.ARPA> sutton at aero.UUCP (Stew Sutton) writes:
>Also easy: just discard error messages from grep.

Not just that; you ALSO want to discard the crap that grep will spit at the
tty if the string wanted is found in a BINARY FILE!  (Some terminals get
VERY UPSET at random binary sequences.)  Better yet, use the '-l' option:

	$ find / -exec {e,f,""}grep -l "pattern" {} \;

(fgrep is best for FIXED patterns that contain characters which egrep and
grep would treat as wild cards.)

>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
>UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
>CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,