Any decent Fortrans under Unix ? Which machine ?

John Pierce jwp at sdchem.UUCP
Tue Feb 25 03:35:42 AEST 1986

In article <3274 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
 > ...DEC offers ... the VMS FORTRAN 77 compiler under ULTRIX...

BSD people shouldn't get their hopes up:  a reasonably substantial rumor says
that DEC has deliberately fixed this so it will not run under BSD, and is not
going to make it available as a separate product.  A rather bizarre marketing
decision, but what can you expect from DEC?

 > ...I think Gould has brought up their own FORTRAN under their UNIX...

This appears to be true, but be a little wary.  During our recent cycle of
looking for a VAX replacement, the Gould calculated answers for the fortran
benchmarks that were different from everyone else's (and wrong).  That and
the virtual memory space limit (16Mb) were the two of the reasons for not
selecting the Gould.

				John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
				jwp%chem at ucsd.edu
				{decvax,sdcsvax}!sdchem!jwp