Micro-Vax Tape Cartridges

Ed Tankus tankus at hsi.UUCP
Fri Feb 7 03:47:51 AEST 1986

> In article <2591 at ukma.UUCP>, sean at ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
> > Indeed, TK50 cartridges are available ONLY from Digital for $29.
>
> Not strictly true.  I was quoted 2 months delivery from DEC, and got
> 2 week delivery from an OEM (a lucky break, admittedly).
>
> --
> 	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
> 	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037
> 	{cbosgd,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!joel
> 	gould9!joel at nosc.ARPA

As I understand it, the reason for the shortage is because the tape maker (3M)
recalled most of the tapes. You should be careful when buying TK50 cartridges:
if they don't say DEC (Digital, etc.) you could be buying an UNFORMATTED tape.
That's right. These tapes ARE preformatted. Formatting a tape can ONLY be done
under VMS (from what I am told) and these routines may not generally be
available to the public.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with DEC. This is a buyer-beware public service
            announcement.
--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

    Ed Tankus
    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511