/bin/ls -C Question

John Owens jso at edison.UUCP
Sat Feb 22 00:26:46 AEST 1986

> Why does ls -C Sometimes NOT print across the screen?
> [...] What does
> ls make this decision on?  I have seen this behavior on both at&t 3b2
> machines and on Tandy 6000 machines. (sys V on one Xenix 3 on the latter)
> Any thoughts???

Check what's in your PATH ("echo $PATH").  Look in each of those directories
for the "ls" command.  Chances are you have more than one....

Often "/bin/ls" is an old V7-like ls command, which always lists one per
line, while another ls, earlier in your path, has the -C option.
Does this "sometimes" happen when your current directory is /bin?

--

			   John Owens
	    edison!jso%virginia at CSNet-Relay.ARPA