Need unix command file HELP!

David W. Vezie dv at well.UUCP
Tue Feb 25 03:42:36 AEST 1986

In article <144 at wgivax.UUCP> mo at wgivax.UUCP writes:
>WRONG!  fgrep -l WILL print the file name, and WILL NOT print the string
>        it will look for ONLY the first occurrence in a file, speeding
>		things up, AND fgrep is faster than grep

Ummm...  I don't know about your machine, but I just did an informal
benchmark comparing {e,,f}grep for speed, and found out that of the
three, egrep is fastest, followed by grep, and slowest was fgrep.
(this is on 4.2BSD)
---
David W. Vezie
	    {dual|hplabs}!well!dv - Whole Earth 'Lectronics Link, Sausalito, CA
(4 lines, 113 chars)