Unix on top of/in parallel with other operating systems

P. D. Guthrie pdg at ihdev.UUCP
Fri Feb 28 10:28:38 AEST 1986

In article <10009 at amdcad.UUCP> phil at amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <2840 at amdahl.UUCP> muth at amdahl.UUCP (John A. Muth) writes:
>>This is no rumor. This is fact. Amdahl sells UTS, a System 5.2 compatable
>>UNIX that runs on 370 hardware. It will run with or without VM.
>>I'm using it right now. AT&T markets UTS under the name of System V/VM.
>>The AT&T product runs under VM only.

We have Amdahl's product here, and I am quoting practical figures, not
anything official.

>Tell us about full duplex ASCII support, please.
Yes, just as in any other Unix.
> Can I run vi?
No problem.  We all run vi and emacs with no problem.
> At 9600 baud?
Yes.
> How many users can be supported?
I have seen 190 on, and it is just beginning to get slow. At 150 it is
still blindingly fast.
> How about ethernet and TCP/IP?
Be real -- this is SysV.  How about shared memory on your 4.2 machine?

My hat is off to Amdahl for this one!!

[I have taken net.unix-wizards out of the cross-posting list as it really
 does not belong there ]
--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'