Need unix command file HELP!

Greg Earle earle at smeagol.UUCP
Sat Feb 1 18:04:18 AEST 1986

> We are looking for a utility that can, when given a arbitrary string,
> can locate all occurences of that string anywhere on the system. Our
> local Un*x gurus can't figure this out, so we are appealing to those out
> in Netland to help us out.

Some Gurus you got there ...

> We are looking for the command to work like this:
>
> findstring this-is-the-string

find / -exec fgrep this-is-the-string '{}' \; (UGGGHHH!)

Warning! Only execute during hours when no one else is in building!!
Guaranteed to tie up CPU for indefinite periods! :@)

If you only want the file names, this *might* work, I'm not sure ...

find / -exec "fgrep this-is-the-string '{}' | awk -F: '{print $1}'" \;
(DOUBLE UGGGHHH)
--

	Greg Earle
	JPL Spacecraft Data Systems group