Unix on top of/in parallel with other operating systems

John A. Muth muth at amdahl.UUCP
Wed Feb 26 05:54:34 AEST 1986

In article <1007 at dcl-cs.UUCP>, craig at dcl-cs.UUCP (Craig Wylie) writes:

> The IBM operating system VM allows multiple operating systems to
> co-exist on a single machine. I have heard talk that UNIX is available
> (rumor only) as an OS for VM.

This is no rumor. This is fact. Amdahl sells UTS, a System 5.2 compatable
UNIX that runs on 370 hardware. It will run with or without VM.
I'm using it right now. AT&T markets UTS under the name of System V/VM.
The AT&T product runs under VM only.

IBM also sells UNIX for VM. They call it IX/370 (or something like that).

I won't go into comparisons between UTS and IX/370 since I'm obviously
not an unbiased observer. I am confident though.
--
John A. Muth           ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun,nsc}!amdahl!muth