Broken software using ULTRIX 1.2

pdg at LaBrea.UUCP pdg at LaBrea.UUCP
Wed Jul 16 07:34:30 AEST 1986

In article <975 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>In article <455 at phred.UUCP>, jeffp at phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
>> We recently "upgraded" ... to ULTRIX 1.2.  ... the following don't work  ...
>> uw (windows program)
>
>Structures in the kernel have changed (you would find the same
>"problems" upgrading to 4.3BSD, I suspect).  Recompile.

This may not work either.  I put a windows system onto Ultrix 1.2 last
week and recompiled (no problems), but the sucker still won't work.  I
didn't have time to track down the problem in full, but the first time
you open a pty, the open works, but when you open it again (to get a
different file descriptor), it fails.  I kludged around this with a dup,
but then started getting io errors from the pty driver on writes.  The
problem may be easy to fix (and if anyone else knows what is going on I
would be interested in hearing from you) but I really haven't had the
time to look at it in detail.  The thing that gets me here (although I
could be jumping to conclusions) is that there are *undocumented*
incompatabilities.  We'll just have to chalk Ultrix up as Just Another
Different Unix.  I must admit, though, that a large proportion of
software did work right off.
--

Paul Guthrie		`See the happy moron, he doesn't give a damn.
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg		 I wish I were a moron. My God! Perhaps I am.'