UNIX System V for PC/AT ???

alan at mn-at1.UUCP alan at mn-at1.UUCP
Sun Jul 13 13:49:35 AEST 1986

In article <517 at gargoyle.UUCP>, west at gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:

> Does anyone in net land know whether Unix System V is
> available for the AT?  And if so, where?

Take a look at Microport's UNIX System V.  For a measely 400 bucks you
get the *full* V.2 implementation: cc, troff, f77, lint, vi, yacc, lex,
terminfo, make, mailx, and even crash.  It also has file locking, ipc,
semops, shared mem, and 80287 support.  The kernel comes optionally with
relocatable .o files so you can link in your own stuff.

It supports the large memory model, and so far it has worked with every
single source that has come off the net, even netnews 2.10.3 :-).

Benchmarks:  Sieve 2.7 secs,   Dhrystones: 1800   (8Mhz PC AT)

Some caveats:
     o The price is going up.  How much?  I dunno.

     o I had to wait 6 weeks to get my shipment.  Although they seem to
       be catching up the backlog now.

     o You need a large disk, especially if you expect to hold things like
       man pages or netnews.  I recommend getting a 60 megabyte Priam (Vertex
       V170), circa $1300.

     o You need lots of memory.  I recommend at least 2 megabytes.

Total price is $400 for a 3 user license.  An 8 user license is $40 extra.

Where to write:

    Microport Inc.
    10096 Soquel Drive
    Aptos, Calif.  95003   or call:  1-800-iAPX286
				    (1-800-4279286)

Note: I have no connection with Microport other than as a satisfied customer.

--
Alan Klietz
Minnesota Supercomputer Center (*)

(*) An affiliate of the University of Minnesota