uucico between uVAX II and VAX 785

avolio at decuac.UUCP avolio at decuac.UUCP
Wed Jul 30 22:02:15 AEST 1986

In article <977 at dicome.UUCP>, salmi at dicome.UUCP (john salmi) writes:
> having recently brought a microvax II to life, i was wondering if anyone
> has had similar experience.  please excuse me if this has already been
> discussed.

It has been discussed recently and is still going on, though now it is
a discussion about different versions of UUCP and dual-universe
systems.

In general, when one has problems with UUCP it is often very important
to check the LOGFILE on *both* systems (in addition to the debug
output).  In this case, I suspect you will find a rejection because of
a LOGIN vs. HOST (or something like that ...).  I won't go into the
reasons why DEC chose to do UUCP as it is in Ultrix (mainly cause it
was before my time :-)) but the security checks it goes through
include seeing who the uucp is logged in as (lovely sentence
structure, what?) and part of this process opens the /etc/utmp file,
and checks for the terminal you are based on inode.  As it states in
the Ultrix-32 release notes for Ultrix-32 V1.2, the dial-in tty must
not be a link to another node in /dev.  What this means is you must
*not* have something like:

crw-rw-rw-  2 root       1,  15 Jul 30 07:28 /dev/tty15
crw-rw-rw-  2 root       1,  15 Jul 30 07:28 /dev/ttyd3

Because dial-in is (probably) on ttyd3 but tty15 will be found first
based on inode (because it is earlier in the directory -- again
probably).   Ttyd3 (in this case) must be a separate node.  Either do
a mknod for it or move (mv) tty15 to ttyd3.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio at decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *