xenix hd problems - SOS!

Mark A. Johnson mj at pur-ee.UUCP
Sat Jul 19 03:54:57 AEST 1986

	I need help (I think) with a disk problem on an IBM PC/AT 286
	with 40 M of hd and SCO System V 2.1.1 XENIX.  Two or three
	times we have had these errors on console:

	error on fixed disk (minor 40), block = 0
	cmd = 0020  status = 5940  sector = 973
	cylinder/head = 14/1

			and

	error on fixed disk (minor 41), block = 0
	cmd = 0020  status = 5940  sector = 35798
	cylinder/head = 526/1

	Minor 41 corresponds to /dev/swap.  40 is /dev/root.

	The documentation says that thses errors may occur, but
	doesn't say what (if anything) to do if they appear.
	What is going on here?  Is this a serious problem?
	Two things: it's probably about 75-85F in our cpu room
	(small room at home), and we have the PC mounted on its
	side with the floppy drive on top.  Could Either of these things
	contribute to the errors?

	We also ran badtrk on our / hd and the bad sector table
	went from 7 to 50 entries, including EVERY sector between
	34867 and 35580.  I was afraid to modify the flaw map for
	fear of corrupting the filesystem.  The sectors appearing
	in the error messages above did NOT appear in the new flaw
	map.

	Any help on this problem would be appreciated.  I am cross-
	posting (or trying to) to net.unix-wizards... if it doesn't
	belong there, sorry.

						Thanks,

						Mark A Johnson
						Purdue Dept of EE

Mark A. Johnson - Purdue University Department of Electrical Engineering
		(Department of Redundancy Department)
UUCP:..allegra!purdue!pur-ee!mj USPS:420 S. Chauncey, W. Lafayette, IN 47906

Subject: Xenix hd errors - SOS!
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc, net.unix-wizards

Subject: xenix hd problems - SOS!
Newsgroups: xenix, unix-wizards

[...]