Broken software using ULTRIX 1.2

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Wed Jul 2 03:24:35 AEST 1986

In article <455 at phred.UUCP>, jeffp at phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
> We recently "upgraded" ... to ULTRIX 1.2.  ... the following don't work  ...

> finger (core dumps occasionally)

Yeah.  I don't remember the reason, but I recall occasional core dumps
on long lists of names. (It'll come to me in the dead of night
probably...)  And I can remember making the fix.  Just don't remember
what... In any event, I can send you a uuencoded version of one that
doesn't dump core.  (Unless you ordered the one that dumped core :-).)
Let me know.  (By the way, this code is changed in an attempt --
successful, I think, to un-UCB it.  I mean, I odn't work in Evans *or*
Cory Halls! :-))

> sps
> top
> uw (windows program)

Structures in the kernel have changed (you would find the same
"problems" upgrading to 4.3BSD, I suspect).  Recompile.

> sccs (admin command bombs)

If by bomb you mean it cannot create an initial SCCS file, yes I have
seen it ("cannot create lockfile" or some such error).  I believe sccs
is trying to be smart and secure about how it creates things.  It runs
as user 'sccs.'  Change the mode on /usr/ucb/sccs to 755 and it should
work.

--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio at decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *