C I/O Question

Daryl Clevenger dlc at zog.cs.cmu.edu
Sat Jul 26 14:51:29 AEST 1986

Here we have a csh with command line editing and tenex style file name
completion.  In order for it to work, it must read and interpret each
character as it is typed.  By using ioctl to get the terminal flags,
one can set CBREAK (or RAW, but I think there are some problems using raw
mode) mode.  I think that you could either use this approach in your shell or
just set the bits in your desired application.  Curses also allows you to
change the input mode from COOKED to CBREAK or RAW.