DMD Software for 4.2 BSD / DMD software available from toolchest

Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC} arnold at emory.UUCP
Thu Jul 10 02:12:31 AEST 1986

This article has two separate, but related pieces of information, concerning
software for DMDs (ATT Teletype 5620s).

1) The University of California at San Diego ported the XT driver to 4.2 BSD.
   They are NOT distributing it. Instead, ATT Teletype is. (NOTE: the
   licensing people in N.C. don't know about this, don't ask them.) You do need
   to have the DMD source licenses for System V from the people in N.C. Once
   you do, contact Dan Wolski, at ATT Teletype, at (312) 982-3453,
   ihnp4!ttrdc!dew. If you send him a copy of your license and your mailing
   address, he will send you a tape, with the source, for 4.2 BSD. That's all
   there is to it.

   (Yes, I know about the availability of the DMD stuff from BRL. Their stuff
   runs in user mode, while what I am describing is based on the XT device
   driver. I am not arguing for one or the other, either way, just informing
   the general Unix world about the availability of different options if they
   have DMDs.)

2) The AT&T Toolchest has a new package called dmd-pgmg, which costs $125.
   It has a new layers program, called "myx", that allows a number of things,
   including running myx inside a window, and the ability to change the current
   character font w/in a window. I do not remember all the details, but at
   $125 for source, it looked like a pretty good deal.

   (It indicated that it only ran on System V. I expect it that is dependant
   on having the XT driver, but that is no longer a problem for BSD sites.)

Appendix A: Phone numbers:

	Unix Licensing in N.C.:		1-800-828-8649 (UNIX)
	ATT Toolchest, login as guest:	1-201-522-6900
	ATT Toolchest, voice:		1-201-522-6698
	Dan Wolski, at ATT Teletype:	1-312-982-3453

Enjoy,
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold at emory	BITNET:	arnold at emoryu1
ARPA:	arnold%emory.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, decvax, gatech, sb1, sb6, sunatl }!emory!arnold

"All this digital stuff is just a fad. Analog is the way to go."
	-- William M. Robbins, 1984