DMD software available from toolchest

hrp at cray.UUCP hrp at cray.UUCP
Mon Jul 14 15:32:23 AEST 1986

[]
> 2) The AT&T Toolchest has a new package called dmd-pgmg, which costs $125.
>    It has a new layers program, called "myx", that allows a number of things,
>    including running myx inside a window, and the ability to change the current
>    character font w/in a window. I do not remember all the details, but at
>    $125 for source, it looked like a pretty good deal.

Myx really replaces the terminal emulator which runs in each window under
layers--the toolchest description isn't very clear on that point.

We've had myx running here for a couple of months now, and I'm impressed.
There are three features I've been using a lot:

a) the editing.  Myx lets the user select any text displayed in a myx window
   and transmit it to the host as though it came from the keyboard.  This
   includes picking up text from one window and dropping it into another.

b) scrolling windows.  A myx window remembers text that has scrolled off
   the visible area of the window; a flick of the scroll bar brings it back.

c) downloadable fonts.  Some of these are much nicer to the eyes than
   the DMD default font.

There's some other stuff--like user menus which the host program can control
by sending escape sequences--which sounds neat, but which I haven't done
anything with yet.

>    (It indicated that it only ran on System V. I expect it that is dependant
>    on having the XT driver, but that is no longer a problem for BSD sites.)

We run System V on our VAX, so I've no idea how portable it is to BSD; I
do know that the toolchest blurb said that it was only known to run on 3Bs,
and we've had no obvious problems on the VAX.

We owe thanks, by the way, to Dave Prosser who wrote myx, and to Bob
DePasquale [who did not spell his name for me over the phone], the
Toolchest administrator, for helping us get the package in one piece.
--
Hal Peterson / Cray Research / 1440 Northland Dr. / Mendota Hts, MN  55120
	UUCP:  ihnp4!cray!hrp		phone:  (612) 681-3085