BSD support

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Jul 20 10:32:06 AEST 1986

In article <1132 at mcc-pp.UUCP> ables at mcc-pp.UUCP (King Ables) writes:
>You might be interested to know that Mt. Xinu only supports
>4.3BSD to the extent that they want to.  Their contract says
>if they make mods or bug fixes, they can send them to customers,
>but if they don't make any bug fixes, that's ok, too.

How does this differ from the support provided from any other
company?  One trusts a company to fix bugs because one knows the
company will not last long if said company does not, not because
the company has somehow promised to do so.

>'course, that's a lot more support than you'll get from Berkeley
>(0.0001 > 0).

Actually, Berkeley does provide a rather amazing amount of support,
considering that they have no particular need to do so.  I recall
a time a few years ago trying to bring 4.1 up on a 750 with only
an RA81 drive.  We got a boot sequence over the phone to read the
tape, and some similar stuff, and wasted about two hours on that
before discovering that the system had its UDA50 at a non-standard
address . . . .
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu