Transaction Processing

John Reed jr at sun.uucp
Tue Mar 18 01:28:28 AEST 1986

In article <1692 at brl-smoke.ARPA> larry at jpl-vlsi.arpa writes:
>"Unix is terrible for transaction processing and DP processing by banks and
>insurance companies."
>I've heard this before.  Why is this so?  And does putting a U**x on top
>an OS that does do good transaction processing solve the problem?  Would a
>native Unix with a kernel optimized for TP fall down on program-development
>functions?

Tolerant Systems in San Jose has a Unix TP box ready to go.  Based on
4.2BSD Unix and multiple National Semi 32 bit CPUs.  Latest release is
fully fault tolerant and provides data integretity across a set of
distributed systems.  The kernel is called TX (Transaction Executive)
and it contains LOTS more than just 4.2.

Maybe somebody at Tolerant could post some more details?

<diclaimer - I used to work there and I am still holding my stock and hoping>

JR.
--
...!{ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!sun!jr (John M. Reed)
Sun Microsystems Inc, 2550 Garcia Ave, MS5-40, Mountain View, CA, 94043