Unix(tm) is a trademark...

Larry Lippman larry at kitty.UUCP
Sat Mar 22 15:15:56 AEST 1986

In article <546 at uel>, jel at uel (J. Eli Lamb ) writes:
> >> I called AT&T (1-800-FOR-UNIX - cute, huh?) about this about a month ago
> >> to find out for sure.  The lady checked to make sure, and reported that
> >> the correct blurb is:
> >> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
>
> I'm sorry but you were mis-informed.  Within the USA, the correct usage is
> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T.
> For most countries outside the USA (including all of Europe), it is
> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T is the U.S.A. and other countries.

	Well, I have a copy of a THREE PAGE document from AT&T Technologies
entitled "Use of the Trademark UNIX (tm)", otherwise known as "Everything
You Always Wanted to Know About the Use of the Trademark UNIX (tm) but were
Afraid to Ask"...
	This document, which is about a year old says "UNIX is an unregistered
trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories".  The document has such gems of knowledge
as:

	"C1. The trademark UNIX may not be used as a known, but must always
be used as an adjective modifying a common noun..."
	"C3. The trademark UNIX may not be used in a hyphenated expression
as `UNIX-based' or `UNIX-like.'"
	"D3. It is inappropriate to use the trademark UNIX in any label
(such as file name, subroutine call or the like) in any software."

	Beware of improper use of UNIX - the FBU [Federal Bureau of UNIX]
will getcha!
	Seriously though, I wonder why AT&T never registered the trademark;
I would think that if AT&T was really serious about usage enforcement, they
would have made the effort at registration.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==