Function Parameter Expansion

K. Richard Magill rich at rexago1.UUCP
Mon Mar 17 08:24:10 AEST 1986

In article <1703 at brl-smoke.ARPA> tanj at ucbvax.uucp writes:
>I just spent an hour trying to figure out why my working program
>suddenly stopped working.  Here's the culprit:
>
>	    expand(*ptr++,*ptr++,*ptr++,ptr++,ptr++,ptr++);

Effectively, all "full C" compilers *PUSH* right to left.  Evaluation order
may be changed by the optimizer or whoever.  Y'see C does not quite define
how parameters are passed to functions.  In order to be able to use functions
of varying numbers of parameters (like fprintf & family) it *implies*
that the caller pushes and pops while the callee only reads.  Actually this
could be done left to right if an additional argument was added that
represented the number of arguments. (or some such)

On one compiler I worked with, you had three options:
	1) caller pushes r to l and pops, callee just reads.
		(easiest to debug, allows varying numbers af arguments)
	2) caller pushes (r to l) callee pops.  In this case callee *must*
		know the number of arguments.  on this compiler that was the
		user's problem.
	3) caller pushes (r to l) *except* for the left most argument which
		was left in a register. callee pops.  Again lint warns but its
		really up to you.

These are listed in order of increasing speed. (& space)  One C
compiler I own offers PL/I style (caller pushes l to r, callee pops).
I *think* lattice uses this.

I should point out that you get very different errors using (1) than from using
(3).  If I call a function with 2 arguments when it is expecting 1, under (1)
the second argument is ignored.  Under (2), IN THIS IMPLEMENTATION, the second
argument became the return address & the real return address is left on the
stack.

Weak argument: When order evaluation is not specified, (like for C
function arguments), then evaluation of each expression *could* be passed
on to other processors or the like.

People actually worry about these things when:

	- The application is time or space CRITICAL. (z80 based controllers)
	- More than one compiler is in use. (linking to a fortran library,
		or between any of the myriad pc "C"'s)
	- Cottrel-esque previously working "C" code is ported to new
		machines/compilers/processors and doesn't initially work.

K. Richard Magill
if its questionable or machine specific, COMMENT IT WELL.