Wanted: info on UNIX for IBM PC/AT and compatibles

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Mon Mar 3 13:44:26 AEST 1986

> I've heard about three Unix System V like implementations for IBM PC/AT &
> compatibles...
>
> Is there any other serious UNIX implementations for IBM PC/AT & compatibles

Microports (a spinoff from Digital Research) has a System V for the 286; I
think Microports was started when Digital Research dropped their work on the
official AT&T err, umm, microport of System V to the 286.

> (BSD 4.2 ? don't laugh, that would be so wonderful, a little dreaming
> doesn't harm).

Don't hold your breath.  4BSD gets very upset when reminded that sizeof(int)
does not necessarily equal sizeof(long) (although I remember seeing
something in S5R2V2 for the VAX which looked like it had caught the same
disease), and the 286 doesn't really like 32-bit arithmetic (even less so
than the 68010, which at least has 32-bit registers and 32-bit
move/add/subtract/bitwise boolean/unary arithmetic operations, although it
doesn't have 32-bit multiply/divide and it does some of the rest 16 bits at
a time) and thus has 16-bit "int"s.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.arpa	(yes, really)