XENIX System V Release 2.0 for PC/AT Problems in Device Driver Installation

dennis j. doherty djd at bcsaic.UUCP
Sun Mar 2 14:55:21 AEST 1986

> I am trying to add a device driver to XENIX System V on an IBM PC/AT.
> I have run into several problems.
>
> Problem 1)  The most serious problem is that
> when I load in any code, even irrelevant code which would never be
> referenced by any other routine, PS stops working.  The following is the
> file which I am loading.
>

> ##### start of file link_xenix
>
> [ -f xenix ] && mv xenix xenix-
> ld -Mm -D 18 -B 20 -A 0 -o xenix KMseg.o oemsup.o c.o space.o picmask.o termsw.o avdriver.o ./mdep/lib_mdep ../sys/lib_sys ../io/lib_io ../io/lib_io.stubs Klibc.a
> echo "RESULT IS IN FILE xenix"
>
> ##### end of link_xenix
>
> After /etc/haltsys one eventually gets to:
>
> boot
> :/usr/sys/conf/xenix		{This is the new xenix}
>
> Then after some initialization, we are in the new XENIX.
> Now, ps gives the following message.
>
> # ps
>    PID TTY TIME COMMAND
> ps: seek error
> #
>
> This error comes up fairly reliably as long as avdriver.o adds at least
> 130 bytes to the xenix kernel.  I tried moving avdriver.o to the end of the
> load list, after all the files which have "lib" in their names.  This
> did not improve the situation.  PS still fails.

The problem is that ps look at /xenix for all its offset info for the core
image of unix but the kernel that is loaded in core is not the same as
/xenix so ps can not find any tables (ei. proc, text,...).
what you have to do is move the new kernel from /usr/sys/conf/xenix  to
/xenix and then haltsys and let it boot up normally.
> Problem 2)  make space.o fails.  The cc compiler complains that it is out
> of heap space.  This is true even if no changes have been made to space.c.

There are changes make to space.c.  As soon as you run the config command
it updates space.c and make knows to recompile it.  Why it doesn't compile
I don't know. I have been able to make a new kernel???

> Problem 3)  The ld command described above does not appear to recognize
> ../io/lib_io.stubs as a library routine and complains if one of the
> routines stubbed out in ../io/lib_io.stubs is loaded before ../io/lib_io.stubs.
> This completely defeats the purpose of the stubs in the first place.  See
> /usr/sys/conf/README.

Not sure what you mean???

> Problem 4)  The ld command is not completely documented.  The -l switch
> is mentioned in the documentation, see the last paragraph of page 4-1, but
> it is not documented anywhere.  That's not too bad because it is documented
> in other versions of UNIX.  The -D and -B switches are likewise not
> documented in the XENIX documentation.  I have never run into these
> switches before and I have no idea what they mean.

There is no GOOD documentation?!?!?!

					Yours in UNIX

					Dennis J. Doherty
					(206) 763-5169
					{decvax|btlunix}!bcsaic!djd

"Talk is creap on satellite."

 			E.L.O.

WARNING: This Message contains backgroud masking that makes a verbal
         statement which is audible when the message is played backwards.