BSD source?

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Mon Mar 17 13:45:59 AEST 1986

> My stupid question of the day is...How does one get ahold of
> Berkeley Unix source code?  Is it as expensive as AT&T Unix
> source?

Since Berkeley UNIX source code is a modified version of AT&T UNIX source
code, the answer is obviously "yes".  It is slightly more expensive; in
addition to getting a source license from AT&T, you have to pay UCB some
money to cover administrative, distribution, and medium costs.  I think it's
less than $500, so it's a drop in the bucket relative to the $42K you have
to pay AT&T for the first source license.

> Well that's actually two questions, but it seems reasonable to
> me that since Berkeley is an educational institution and not a profit
> oriented business, that its "products" should be less expensive
> than the other guys.

Since Berkeley didn't create 4BSD from thin air, but started with AT&T UNIX
(UNIX/32V to be precise), this argument doesn't apply.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.arpa	(yes, really)