Xenix Fortran info?

LASKARIS ggl at mhuxi.UUCP
Tue Mar 18 23:43:36 AEST 1986

- f - o - o - d - - - f - o - r - - - t - h - o - u - g - h - t -
Greetings, culture fans:

I have a friend looking for a reliable, robust Fortran compiler under
Xenix.  He has ported a large statistical program to the PC under
MS-DOS, from a traditional mainframe environment, and would like to
do the same to PC/Xenix.  The MS-DOS port was done with Lahey's F77L
compiler.

General questions:
What compilers are available?  Strengths and weaknesses?  Has anyone
had experience with large programs/subroutines?  What are maxima for
specific compilers (max code size, data size, number of segments, etc).

Specific questions:
Does any linker under Xenix support overlays?  Is the Xenix Fortran
a port of Microsoft Fortran or of Unix f77?  Is there any difference
between the various versions of Xenix, or are they simply supplied
by different resellers?

As you might surmise from this list of questions, I have not used
Xenix at all.  I have used Unix, most recently on a Unix PC (AT&T 7300),
and MS-DOS.

Please respond directly to me; if there is interest, I will post a
summary to the network.

David Laurance

..!ihnp4!mhuxi!ggl
(201) 953-7633