nroff to Post Script

Mark Weiser mark at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Mar 11 14:11:40 AEST 1986

In article <285 at hadron.UUCP> tsp at hadron.UUCP (T. Scott Pyne) writes:
>A question:  has anyone on the net actually *used* this product?  We are
>also considering the Laserwriter-with-Transcript as a reasonably-priced
>high-quality output device, and would appreciate any firsthand knowledge.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>						Scott Pyne
>						...!seismo!hadron!tsp

I've used it, in the form it comes packaged with Sun's Laserwriter (which
is the same as Apple's).  Works fine on all the things I have tried it on,
including slides, weird tables, refer output, and ordinary large papers.
I've handed it only small eqn cases so far, which it did fine.

The sun version comes with other useful utilities which interface it
to the 4.2 lpr, print screen dumps, emulate a plotter, etc.  Don't know
if these are standard transcript.

The big problem is not transcipt's but the LaserWriter's: very slow
printing speed if there is anything complex happening.  As a personal
printer I am not at all annoyed at this.  I would not want this as a
printer I had to share with many people, or under much use.
-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark at maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark