XENIX System V Release 2.0 for PC/AT Problems in Device Driver Installation

Joe Portman baron at transys.UUCP
Tue Mar 18 12:13:29 AEST 1986

> > Problem 2)  make space.o fails.  The cc compiler complains that it is out
> > of heap space.  This is true even if no changes have been made to space.c.

One of the simplest ways to fix this is to make sure the makefile uses
cc -LARGE ( large compiler passes )

I have added drivers to the system many times, no problems yet.

A couple of questions:

1.  Do you have enough memory to really go at compiling? I have found
(through personal experience) that you need AT LEAST 2 meg to get any real
work done in SCO system V. Here all our AT-S have at least 6.5 meg.

2.  What version and revision of SCO Xenix are you using. There have been
several updates to SCO Xenix. Version 2.1 is on the way. 2.0.6 had some
special changes to the way the kernel is linked.

I may be out of line posting this, but I have been using System V XENIX for
almost 6 months with pretty uniform results (good). As a matter of fact,
this was posted from an AT.

Hope this helps all who read it,

Joe Portman
V.P. Software Developement
TransSystems Incorporated
1280 116th Avenue NE
Bellevue WA 98009
1-206-453-5560
ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!camco!transys!root