problem with 'tar'

Ray Trent trent at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Wed Mar 19 09:23:04 AEST 1986

[This space for rent]

>It is however impossible to read the third (and most important)
>tape due to numerous 'directory checksum error' messages - this
>is despite the '-i' switch which should ignore such errors.
>It is rather a puzzle ... I wonder if anyone has any ideas ?
>Once again, thanks for all your help to date.

Does anyone out there know what happens if you run tar on a
'compress'ed tar file? You get 'directory checksum error's.
(some people compress, pack or otherwise compact their tar files
before sending them to save space.  I've even gotten files that
were compressed without being documented as such. Imagine that.)

Just a thought...

(I posted this instead of mailing it because my reply bounced
earlier. We seem to have a bug here in auto-replying to UUCP
hosts.)
--
						../ray\..