article i posted that died

Ed Nather nather at utastro.UUCP
Tue Mar 4 02:58:19 AEST 1986

In article <6452 at utzoo.UUCP>, henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> > the documentation needs improvement.
>
> Still a problem area.  Although the documentation for most other systems
> also needs improvement, for different reasons:  it drowns you in verbiage
> and detail.  One thing Unix does *not* need is documentation that is
> "improved" to that point.
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

That "verbiage" that is so opaque often consists of passive constructions
which totally obscure the point to be made.  As an example, from the
Microsoft C (v3.0) manual:

"If more than one flag is present, they are separated by the "|" symbol ..."

By whom?  Me, or the compiler?  After experimenting, I found it *should* say
"If you include more than one flag, you must separate them with ..."

This type of construction is depressingly prevalent in documentation of all
kinds on all systems.  It should be taken out and shot.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin