UNIX for transaction processing and DP

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Tue Mar 18 16:43:35 AEST 1986

In article <267 at bu-cs.UUCP> bzs at bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein)
does a really good job of summarizing the realities of doing TP under
UNIX.  I have only a couple of small points to add:

    (1) There are several vendors selling a Unix that has been enhanced
to support real time or TP.  I think most of them are actually in the
hardware business, so you're stuck with their hardware.  There are also
several Unix lookalikes that can do TP.
    (2) AT&T has an internal version of Unix, Unix/RT, that supports
real time.  They have never made this into a product, however, possibly
because it has problems that make nonviable commercially.
    (3) Depending on your particular application, standard Unix may be
able to serve perfectly adequately.  It is also possible to modify the
standard kernel to support TP better;  my consulting firm recently did
this for a major manufacturer.  (We welcome inquiries from anyone who
is interested in a similar service).
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	SAH Consulting