ksh hanging

Griff Smith ggs at ulysses.UUCP
Thu Mar 13 00:34:42 AEST 1986

> In article <1291 at homxb.UUCP> gemini at homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> >>[ksh hangs on 4.2BSD]
> >>
> >>It also hangs about once a week under System 5.2, so I doubt the bug
> >>is UNIX OS related!
>
> >Before this gets too far.... we're running 5.2 on 3b2s and 3b5s.
> >I personally have NEVER had the Korn shell hang on me!
> >And to my recollection noone else here has had that problem.
>
> >					Ken Latham
>
> 	I also have never heard of this problem. And we have 3B2's,
> 3B5's, 3B15's and 3B20's. I now people that have ksh on vaxen and
> unix pc's and it's just fine. Must be that BSD dosen't like
> useful shells.
>

> 			Jack Gross
> 			AT&T Information Systems
> 			Lincroft NJ 07738
> 			(201)576-6305

Ksh gets along fine with BSD.  It is developed on a mixture of Apollo
work stations, 4.2BSD VAXen, a CCI POWER 6/32 (nice machine, about the
speed of a DEC 8650) and a few 3B20s.  Some versions of ksh have had a
rare job control race; the symptom is that the shell mis-manages a
job's process group when a job suspends itself, and the terminal seems
to hang.  It has happened to me a few times on the POWER 6/32, which is
a fast (about 5 MIPS) processor; maybe once on a VAX in two years.  The
fix, when it happens, is to go to another terminal (or window) and kill
the process that is suspended.  Dave Korn would be happy to fix this,
but it happens so rarely here that it is difficult to catch.  If you
have solid clues, shell stack traces, etc, send them to ulysses!dgk.

Trademarks: VAX -> DEC, POWER 6/32 -> Computer Consoles Inc, 3B -> AT&T
--

Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		(201) 582-7736
Internet:	ggs at ulysses.uucp
UUCP:		ulysses!ggs  ( {allegra|ihnp4}!ulysses!ggs )