Need Help with sz/rz

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Mar 31 15:18:46 AEST 1989

In article <4689 at dasys1.UUCP> mikej at dasys1.UUCP (Mike Johnston) writes:

>I have transfered sz to a remote machine and I wish  to use it for file
>transfers. I dial into the remote system and say:
>sz foobar

>The remote prepares for transmission. Now, if I exit to the shell on my
>machine, how do I get rz to recognize that my modem port is different from
>the one I am working on? My modem is on tty04 and lets say for argument sake
>that I am on tty09. I thought that something like the following would work:
>rz < /dev/tty04 > /dev/tty04

>But, it doesn't. Am I missing something? I suspect it is something simple

Assuming that you have rw permission on tty04 (and you should get a
reasonable error message if not), the most likely problem is that you
are placing the call with cu and using its shell escape to start rz.
The problem is that cu runs as 2 processes. One reads the keyboard
and writes to the tty, the other reads the tty and writes to your line.
During the shell escape the process reading the tty is still active.
Without source to cu it probably can't be fixed.  If you can get a
copy of kermit you can use it to place the call, then run rz/sz in
a shell escape.

Les Mikesell