unix time service

David A. Frank dfrank at cod.nosc.mil
Thu Mar 30 12:58:02 AEST 1989

                                        11/10/88

Dear Unix Experts,

     I'd like to have your words of wisdom on the feasability of
a time server for microsecond accuracy to run on a Sun3
workstation (Unix).

     I'll have a device which will attatch to one of the serial
tty ports, providing a rising edge on the second. I would like to
use this rising waveform to reset a clock or to signal a process
that won't be swapped out (is this a sign of naivete or what?).
Can it be done with Unix? I'm running SunOS 3.5 (4.2 BSD Unix).
Please mail your replies directly to me:

DDN:  dfrank at nosc.mil
UUCP: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!dfrank

Thank you for your efforts,

                                   Respectfully yours,
                                   David Frank