Problem with vi

Calvin Hayden cgh018 at tijc02.uucp
Thu Mar 30 12:40:58 AEST 1989

Background:  Running Unix V Release 2.2 on a Vax 8600.  Setup to support
 up to around 75 users.

Problem:  The users complain about the slow response within the vi
 editor.  At times,  one may be typing as much as 15 characters ahead
 of what is displayed on the terminal.  I have been informed that this
 is a problem inherent in vi (AT&T's version ported via Uniq Digital).
 My question... is this so?  Anyone out there experience a similar
 problem?  Anyone have suggestions?  If my understanding of the reasoning
 behind the problem is correct, then it is because vi handles terminal
 echoing itself, so when cpu is loaded it is switched out (and thus does
 not echo until it gets a slice again).  Anyone have any input whatsoever?
 Please e-mail to below address.  Thanks in advance!

 Calvin Hayden
 Texas Instruments
 Johnson City, TN.
 Voice: (615)461-2254