need reasons for being on the USENET ...

cirrusl!paul at olivetti.com cirrusl!paul at olivetti.com
Thu Mar 23 06:26:31 AEST 1989

I often get useful little programs and scripts from the net.  For
example there was a VERY useful little program to disable the annoying
"Caps" key.  (Almost everyone here uses that, now.)

I can get information and programs from friends and associates over
the net.  ("Hey, Tony, you had a program which prints the
last-accessed date of a file.  Could you send it to me?")

I get useful information about bugs and bug fixes from the net.  For
example, the Internet worm was covered in great detail.  In January
1988 the Sun's leapyear/time problem was discussed (I thought our
system management had goofed up again), and a solution posted.

I use the net as a method of professional developement.  I am
interested in error-free programming and C++, so I read net.risks and
comp.lang.c++.  It is like being able to go to a conference or seminar
every day on your lunch hour.

We communicate with our suppliers (Sun, among others) and clients via
email.  Email avoids telephone tag.  Besides, have you ever tried to
give someone a program verbally? ("No, line three should be open
curly, a, equals, star, bee, paren, paren, semicolon, close curly.")

Clearly you are on some network.  I am not that familiar with Usenet
compared with other networks to say which of the above (if any!) you
do not have and would gain with Usenet.

Paul E. Black          | UUCP: ...{pyramid,amdahl,ames}!oliveb!cirrusl!paul
CIRRUS LOGIC, Inc.     | Internet: cirrusl!paul at olivetti.com
1463 Centre Pointe Dr. | Voice: 408-945-8305 extension 210
Milpitas, CA 95035 USA