Asynchronous stuff

David Preisler dwp at mtune.ATT.COM
Fri Mar 31 13:18:33 AEST 1989

Trying to read user input async [like a text editor] via Unix(tm)
SystemV 'NO DELAY' but it's a real cpu hog!  Emacs reads keys async-
but it's very good with the cpu- How Does it do it? Currently I'm
polling for input.

Also am trying to update the time once a second [just so I know that
the program is still alive- the info displayed rarely changes ]- Is
their an efficient way to do this?  Currently, again,  I'm just polling
'till one sec has elapsed: I can't sleep(1) because I'm also waiting for
async input.

Please respond via Email, don't often get to read NetNews.

Thanks,
David William Preisler

AT&T Bell Laboratories     Email: att!mtune!dwp.ATT.COM
     200 Laurel Avenue
Middletown,  NJ  07748     Phone: (201) 957-2594