Problem with character echoing

calvin hayden cgh018 at tijc02.uucp
Thu Mar 30 12:29:37 AEST 1989

Recently, our computer users began to complain about type ahead problems
on our Vax 8600 (running Unix V 2.2).  The problem is that when the CPU
gets bogged down, it is possible to be as much as 10-15 characters ahead
of what is showing on a terminal.  Naturally there are complaints about this.
To me, the problem seems obvious -- the cpu is loaded and is taking longer to
echo terminal input back.  We are currently using VMZ/32N asynchronous
communications boards from Able Computer, that allow DMA.  I am currently
looking about for a board that will replace the VMZ's we have, and in the
process, pick up the additional task of performing terminal echo to take this
load off the cpu.  The boards we have are each 16 line async., and are designed
to replace digital's DMF32 boards.  Anyone have any suggestions or input as to
my quest?  If so, please email me.  Thanks in advance for any help!
Calvin Hayden
(615)461-2254

UUCP: mcnc!rti!tijc02!root