syslog & chroot

Tait Cyrus cyrus at pprg.unm.edu
Thu Mar 30 12:59:27 AEST 1989

I am trying to modify ftpd so that anonymous ftp's get logged (syslog).
Syslogs work fine up until the chroot, but after that syslogs do not
produce ANY output.  What do I have to do to get syslogs to function
AFTER the execution of chroot?

I have tried the following:
- closelog before chroot and openlog after chroot
- create dev with "standard" devices in ftp dir (i.e. /etc/klog)
- create file to log info to in ftp dir (specified in syslog.conf)
- create etc/hosts specifying loghost
- create etc/services specifying syslog socket
- create etc/syslog.conf

Background:
OS:		SunOS 4.0
Machine:	Sun 3/160
ftpd:		4.3 version posted fixing anonymous ftp bug

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus at pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131