Need help regarding router daemon

Francis Chan fchan at vlsi.waterloo.edu
Sat Sep 9 03:48:59 AEST 1989

We have had problems with our router daemon marking gateways as unreachable
even when these gateways were marked as passive on the /etc/gateways file.
We can get to anywhere on the backbone ethernet (uwnet) but subnets die
after 3 minutes or so (as indicated in the man pages for in.routed). We
tested this out by fingering machines hooked up to the subnets i.e. ohm,
cartier, and so forth (apologies for using various sites as guinea pigs..
:-)). More annoying is the loss of connection to the outside world.

We have taken to invoking the daemon on boot-up and then killing it after
2.5 minutes, so that the routing tables are somewhat filled. Is there a way
to get around this problem?

Thanks a billion in advance.

Francis Chan