Makefile for Compressed files (.o.Z)

Chuck L. Peterson clp at gumby.Altos.COM
Tue Apr 16 02:26:00 AEST 1991

>   the appropriate file when it is needed.  Let's limit the discussion
>   to just .o files.
>
> It seems that one would want to define a rule to take *.o.Z files and
>   make them into *.o files:
>       .o.Z.o:
>               uncompress $<
>   but I think that the multiple '.'s in the rule confuses MAKE.  I
>   tried adding .o.Z to the SUFFIXES list, but that doesn't seem
>   to help at all.

Ever tried cake? There you can write something like:

        uncompress %.o

Where % is substituted by your file name (it's an ``unbound part'' of
this rule). cake is available at gatekeeper.dec.com in directory
pub/case.

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod                          Email: xitijsch at ddathd21.bitnet
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany