TELNET Problem

James Brister brister at decwrl.dec.com
Tue Apr 16 02:27:41 AEST 1991

On 12 Apr 91 15:22:26 GMT, rich at tincan-sawyer.af.mil (Sgt Richard J. Wachter) said:

> I can telnet to most address however there are those I can not
> telnet to. I know the systems are up because I can reach them if I logon
> to another system and telnet to them. I have tryed both telneting to the
> number and the name with no luck. I have been running as a resolver but
> have tryed running the system with a /etc/hosts file. I have called all
> the people I can and have RTFM until my eyes hurt. If you have a
> suggestion or know of someone else with this problem please let me know.

Can you ping the unreachable systems? Can you ping your system from one of
them? Can you telnet from them to you? How 'bout traceroute?

If the remote systems can't reach your system for some reason (bad routing,
bad resolving, etc.), then telnet won't work.

James
--
James Brister                                           brister at decwrl.dec.com
DEC WSL., Palo Alto, CA                 {uunet,pacbell,pyramid}!decwrl!brister